Launching a site from the dev server
From Metro Studios Knowledgebase
1. Archive both httpdocs and httpdocs.git directory assets (using tar) of the site. Preserve permissions.
tar -cvpzf httpdocs.tgz httpdocs
2. Securely transmit the archives of the site assets to the production server. (scp/sftp are good options here)
scp -P 11200 httpdocs.tar.gz USERNAME@web3.metro-studios.com:~/httpdocs.tar.gz
- You can also archive and transmit these at the same time using "wondertar".
- The following command will create an archive of the httpdocs folder in the users home directory on the specified server.
tar -cvpzf - httpdocs | ssh -p 11200 USERNAME@web3.metro-studios.com "cat - > ~/httpdocs.tar.gz"
3. Set up a new Plesk site for physical hosting and clean up the auto generated httpdocs
- Make sure to turn off php "safe mode"
- Make sure to switch off the mail module
4. Decompress both your httpdocs (replacing the old httpdocs directory) and your httpdocs.git archives
tar -zxvf httpdocs-git.tgz
5. Change the httpdocs.git/config remote to correctly reflect the production environment
6. Set the permissions as if you were to set up the Git site manually - Setting up Git versioned sites manually
7. Check out the migrated repository at it's new location and try pushing to ensure there are no issues.