Post-launch SEO Tasks
From Metro Studios Knowledgebase
 Install Google Analytics
- Open up Analytics
- Click on “Admin”
- Click on Metro 5 (until that gets filled up)
- Click on “+New Property”
- Fill out Website Name and Website URL and click “Get Tracking ID”
- Copy and paste that embed code into the head section on each page that you want to track data…just ahead of the closing head tag </head>.
- Most sites we build use the /includes/document-head.php. This is a good file to place the code because it will appear on each page of the site, saving you time.
- Set up Goals. For example, if they have a contact form, you’ll want to trigger a goal every time someone successfully submits the form. So you’d set up a goal for whenever someone reaches the thank you page for a particular form. www.example.com/contact/thank-you/
- If it’s an ecommerce site, work with the programmers to install eCommerce tracking.
- Find out who the client wants to have set up with user access (they will need an email tied to a Google Account). Also, set up automated monthly report(s).
- Go back and test in a day or two to ensure everything is tracking correctly
 Install Google Webmaster Tools
- Go to Google Webmaster Tools
- Sign in using the same credentials as Google Analytics (creds are in KeyPass)
- Click on “Add a Site”
- Click on “Alternate methods”
- You can either verify it by your Google Analytics account (if it’s already installed). Otherwise, you can click on HTML tag, and copy and paste that meta tag underneath the meta description on the home page of your website.
- Push the changes through GIT, then click Verify on Webmaster Tools to complete the process.
- You will also want to upload your sitemap.xml file as well.
 Install Bing Webmaster Tools
- Go to Bing Webmaster Tools
- Credentials are in KeyPass
- Enter the website url at the top of the page and click “Add”
- Enter the sitemap.xml url: (http://www.exampleurl.com/sitemap.xml)
- Click Add
- Copy and paste the <meta> tag just below the Google Webmaster Tools meta tag (or right below the meta description.
- Push the changes and verify.
 Create Sitemap.xml file
- Within Aptana (or whichever file management system you use), create a blank /sitemap.xml file on the root domain.
- Go to 
- Enter the website url
- Once it has generated the sitemap, copy and paste the enter code and paste it on the blank sitemap.xml file you created earlier. Save and push the changes
 Create Robots.txt file
- This is basically a set of instructions for search engines. This is where you tell search engines what to ignore when they crawl your website.
- You can simply copy a robots.txt file from another website and paste it to the root of the website you are working with, and simply edit it.
- Here is a good tutorial on robots.txt implementation: 
- Save and push